Sunday, November 24, 2013

In My Heart

"Hi, my name is Cameron" he said as he shone a goofy smile my way. His calming blue eyes twinkled as the sun gazed upon them and happiness beamed from his face.

He was my best friend and my first love...

We hiked slowly through the dead brush and began to climb this hill. The sun began to set but kept shining and the heat tickled my face pink. We continued towards the park that lay on the top of this hillside and with each step he always turned back to make sure I wasn't too far behind.

We reached the top and looked over the city that spread out below us. Lights began to sizzle as the shade of darkness enclosed the valley.

We walked over to a wooden platform that rests at the top of the hill overlooking the cities scooped into valleys on either side of us. We sat on the edge of the platform and watched as darkness began to wake up the city's lights, and as cars zoomed through the streets.

It was silent as we sat together as if the world had fallen asleep as the lights of the night had come out to play.

I sat so close to him that I could feel the soft heat emanating off of him almost as if enticing me. Pure childish giddy spread across my face and soon that space between us no longer cried out. His presence sent chills up my spine and he embraced me slowly as we sat and peered down into the city.

I came close to his chest and took comfort in the strong, consistent beating of his heart and with each breath  his chest glided in and out. He smelled fresh and sweet like the earth after it was bathed in rain.

He began to point out to lights which had looked so familiar in the day, but have seemed to transform in the night. We guessed the neighborhoods and which store was which, followed by the occasional laugh that vibrated through his chest and tickled my face.

Awhile later we began to walk down the hill and through the streets until we got to the fork in the road where we went separate ways. We stood underneath a lamppost with the orange light illumining us in the darkened night.

He stared down into my eyes and a playful smile crept onto his face. He held me close in a last embrace. He pulled back softly holding my hands in his, he began to lean towards me and kissed me softly.

He departed slowly and with step he took I missed him more and yearned to feel his embrace. After standing still under the pale orange light for a few minutes I began to walk home.

My whole body buzzed with excitement as I jumped a fence, walked into my house and got ready to sleep.

That was the last time I ever saw my beloved friend; he died the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment