Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Zombies

My eyes flutter open and the small dank alleyway spreads out before me. I sit on the chilled ground next to a over turned dumpster. I brush the rats away from my feet and slowly stand up and stretch out my legs. I turn towards the entrance of the alleyway and see that it leads out into the streets of salt lake. The streets are packed with over turned cars and the smell of sewage burns my throat. 

I slowly step out of the alley and the sun kisses the side of my face. The sun continues to creep into the crevices of buildings lighting up the city,  and broken bits of glass, that litter the ground, glisten against the dust covered streets. 


Adrenaline creeps through my veins and the fear that I try to hide from starts to set in. I trudge through the streets trying to remember what it used to look like with people walking through the streets talking on phones or to one another. Now all that remains is fear which is plastered on the walls and on the faces of dead corpses who lie still in their cars. I examine every car and alley ways expecting to find someone even though the world has been dead for twenty years. I feel alone and lost. I haven't seen anyone for at least a week now but I can never be quite sure because my days seem to fade in and out and blur together. 

The sun starts to melt the chill that has inhabited my body and I almost feel happy or maybe just content. Can I feel happy when I l live in this world of never ending darkness? Can I feel happy now, even though I feel just as abandoned as this city? My stomach starts to ache from longing, for a better existence or food i'm not quite sure. My thoughts start to cloud my head and despair slides back into my emotions where he now seems to have made his home. 

I shuffle my bare feet along the ground and somehow the pain I feel as broken bits of glass cut deeper and deeper makes me feel better. I pull down on the backpack straps that lie on my shoulders trying to relieve the weight from my already aching back. 

I slow to a stop and deeply inhale taking in the smells of this city trying to forget the pain of memories that begin to flash through my head. The smells of a city in decay are not as bad as the rotting smell of flesh which wafts through my nostrils. Emptiness floods my heart and soul, and the longing pain in my stomach reappears. Everything good has been ripped away from me and all that remains is hopelessness and fear. I squeeze my pale arm and feel how my skin loosely hangs onto the bone and how it starts to peel and rot. I try to escape through old memories, but I fear I will be trapped in this existence until I finish off the last of humanity. But what I fear the most, is I don't think I will ever get used to this smell.

2 comments:

  1. Adrenaline creeps through my veins and the fear that I try to hide from sets in

    #STOLEN

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrenaline creeps through my veins and the fear that I try to hide from sets in

    #STOLEN

    ReplyDelete